Friday, August 13, 2010

Warm, Fuzzy Memories

Being in a new place, I can't help but think about the past: what I would have or not have done differently. I don't really think I would do anything differently. I know that everyone should have a crush on at least one superhero, especially at an early age (nananananana BATMAN!). Though I had brothers older than I am, I did have a nephew and nieces not too far behind me. I got to be in that twilight roll of aunt/sister kind of thing. Now that they're married with children of their own, it does make me feel old. Although I have no biological sisters, I sure did have the best two sisters while I was growing up. I just don't believe I truely appreciated them until I became older; and by then, two more sisters were added to my family. I don't know of any families who have fantastic brothers and sisters like I do. I figure that there aren't too many girls who were able to wax surfboards, polish all those dress shoes for Sunday morning or learn poker from the preacher. I don't know of any little girls lucky enough to have a brother buy her a little yellow outfit from Sears, or take her, with his own date (even though Mom told him to do it), to the drive-in movies. I even had the privilege of going to North Carolina at the age of 16 and received my first marriage proposal (I still wonder how desparate those guys really are). Going to Alabama for family vacations so I could play dominos with Aunt Cil and eat fried pies was also a big highlight. Life was good. I still love my family and wouldn't trade them for anyone else. I know our boys love being a part of this family. They look forward to spending time with the Roberts Clan. It's hard for me to accept so much passing of time. I'm 50 and I still love Batman; but I forgot where I put my cape :(. Dan is now 20 and a college student (Go Yellow Jackets!). Paul is 19 and job hunting. They both tolerate my emotional trips down memory lane with a roll of their eyes and a shake of their heads. I've been relegated to the old as dirt category. That's okay. I'm stockpiling pictures of them for future blackmailing purposes (similar to ones like David as baby in a cardboard box and Rob with his Roberts' ears being focused). I don't think of my childhood as something to be missed; it's just something to be expanded. Now I'm adding to those warm, fuzzy memories with new Georgia memories, the first addition being last Saturday. I'm so glad we're family!

No comments:

Post a Comment